Citi Hong Kong was named "Digital Bank of the Year" and it swept top awards across every banking category at The Asset Triple A Digital Awards 2017 in Hong Kong.
The Citi Mobile® App earned Citi numerous accolades, including Best Retail Social-Media Banking Experience, Best Digital Wealth Management Experience and Most Innovative Mobile Banking Application, while the Citi Cash Back Visa Card campaign was named the Most Innovative Social Media Project.
The multiple wins underscore Citi's digital progress, which has contributed to a strong year of growth for the bank's consumer franchise.
Angel Ng, Consumer Business Manager at Citibank Hong Kong, said: "We are proud that our digital banking services and products have won us these prestigious awards, which are a testament to the best-in-class digital experience that we are bringing our consumer banking customers. In Hong Kong, we are seeing a continuous increase in the usage of our digital banking services. It is critical for us to continue investing in our technology to better serve our clients and meet their banking needs. At Citi, we believe that banking should be simple and convenient, and we are constantly exploring advances in technology to help us deliver that kind of experience."
Citi also won the prestigious "Asia Pacific Digital Bank of the Year" title and a number of regional awards, including Best Digital Bank in India, Indonesia, South Korea and Malaysia and Best Retail Mobile Banking Experience in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore.
In the editorial write-up, the Asset said: "Citi continued to enhance its digital offering by developing intuitive tools to serve their customers across its footprint, and saw a significant number of digital onboarding acquisitions with many clients using its various digital channels. The bank also wins Digital Bank awards in several localised markets, for their commitment in creating a frictionless digital experience."
The rapid adoption of mobile and other digital channels has transformed how Citi's clients bank, sign up for cards or loans, pay their bills or use the bank's wealth management services. Today, more than half of Citi's consumer banking clients in the region use digital channels with mobile being the fastest growing channel year-on-year. In Hong Kong, 90% of Citi's banking transactions were conducted via self-service channels.
Digital highlights in 2017 included:
- Citibank was the first bank in Hong Kong to make available its APIs in the Developer Portal in order to reach out to the tech world to accelerate FinTech development.
- To mark the availability of the Citi APIs in Hong Kong, Citibank introduced Citi HK FinTech Challenge, which was the first accelerator programme supporting the Hong Kong Monetary Authority x Cyberport Haccelerator initiative.
- Citi announced the launch of Pay with Points in Hong Kong, an innovative reward points redemption service that enables Citi cardholders to offset local purchases using credit card points on mobile phones.
- During 2017, the bank launched a series of enhancements on the Citi Mobile® App, including a built-in security token - Citi Mobile Token - to replace physical security device or One-Time Password (OTP) via SMS, enabling customers to generate an OTP for authenticating designated transactions via the App anytime, anywhere. The launch of fingerprint authentication methods for logging on to the Citi Mobile® App through both iPhones and Android mobile devices. In addition, easy registration which allows customers to activate new credit card via the Citi Mobile® App.
- The offering of payment transfer and P2P payment with the launch of Citi JETCO Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and WeChat Pay.
Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management.